Monday, August 17, 2009

There's a Smell Coming From the Refrigerator!


For several days, we noticed a little smell in the kitchen. We couldn’t quite place where it was coming from, I thought perhaps the garbage disposal, so I did what I spend way too much time doing and cleaned, putting bleach down the drain. Slowly the smell got a little worse and we narrowed it down to the refrigerator and freezer, but only when we opened the doors. I obsessively clean all the time, but I decided on my next free day, I would do an extra thorough cleaning and check expiration dates on everything. Then, I got some ice and water from the door dispenser and the ice had the taste of the horrible smell. We couldn’t wait, the cleaning needed to happen immediately! I had to go to swim team practice to be the “board member on deck” so John removed everything from the refrigerator, completely cleaned it with bleach, threw anything that wasn’t purchased that week away, but the smell remained and was getting worse. Next, we pulled out the fridge and took apart the back, looking for anything that could be the source of the now HORRIBLY ROTTEN smell. After some investigation and research, we discovered it had a very “rare condition” that was only going to lead to more smell, which I couldn’t imagine since I was already gagging and starting to vomit every time the thing had to be opened! The repair? Replace the leaking, dying fan, tear our all the insulation and replace it. The cost? Pretty close to the price of a new refrigerator. It was only 5 years old, but it had to go, so we kicked it to the curb with a free sign. I guess that stainless steal, bottom freezer refrigerator that we had always wanted was now going to be a reality.

Here is where God’s humor comes into play. Just several days before, I was trying to figure out what I was going to do with that extra money I had earned from taking a little, part-time, summer job as a Chapel Director. I couldn’t decide between splurging on something or the practical decision of saving it for awhile. Well, God answered that for me! When you’re responsible with your money and give as God calls you to give, He will ALWAYS provide!!! I have experienced that time and time again. He provided! My new stainless steal, bottom freezer with water and ice in the door refrigerator is now sitting in my kitchen, paid for by my summer job. As an added bit of humor by God, after most stores told me it would take about 2 weeks for the model of refrigerator I wanted to come in, we discovered Costco was the only store that had 1 in stock (not counting the floor model)! His timing is always perfect!

No comments:

Post a Comment