Tuesday, October 27, 2009

Labor Pains


Where has all the time gone??? I'm starting this entry like this because I want to see how many times I can say it in my blog. :) This is a phrase that I heard a gazillion times growing up and even more after I became a mom. Everyone would say, "If you think time goes by quickly now, just wait until your kids start school." Now here I am, saying it ALL too often. Tomorrow is Kiley's birthday and, are you ready for this? She is turning 12! Next year she'll be a teenager! At this time 12 years ago, I had been in labor for 21 hours, and little did I know then, I still had 11 more hours to go. Now flash forward to today. Did I blink and 12 years passed by?


Last night we were at the Duck's game with a couple of the pastors from CCV. One of them works in youth ministries. I hear John from behind me say, "Our daughter will be in jr. high next year." I think my heart skipped a beat before I started to feel light-headed. Then it hit me: next year I will be a parent of a jr. higher! I wanted to fall to my knees and beg God to have mercy on me and turn back the clock. I thought about that statement all the way home from the game and all night until I fell asleep.

It was the first thing on my mind this morning when I woke up. As I worked through my morning routine, I started to become at peace with it all. After all, she has grown into such a kind, beautiful young lady with a heart for the Lord. She is this way because of the circumstances of life and how we have raised her. If we turned back the clock, the outcome could be disappointingly different. She is still the shy girl she's been since she was in diapers and has some social issues, but she's perfect to us and we LOVE the person God made her to be.

Twelve years may have flown by before our eyes, but they've been a great 12 years! We've experienced the death of loved ones, illnesses, John's accident, deep sadness and much more, but more importantly, we've experienced the love of our children, constant hugs and kisses, "I love yous," first steps, school plays, church programs and way too many blessings than I could ever list. Most importantly, we've all grown together in the love and joy of the Lord. We are living in the happiest days of our lives and all we can do is embrace the joy and grace of each day, no matter how quickly the time passes.

No comments:

Post a Comment