Wednesday, August 24, 2011

Shopping with Hadassah

I finally got to see Hadassah today! I met her, her mom and her sister, Stella, at the market place for a shopping spree. Our first stop was at a clothing store where she was amazed by all the choices she had of pretty dresses. I don't think she's ever owned a new outfit before, much less a beautiful dress. She picked out a fancy dress with a bright yellow top, black full skirt and a great big, black bow around the neck. Her face lit up when she put it on. She didn't want to take it off. Our next stop was shoes. She picked out the shiniest pink shoes with a silver glitter bow on the top. They didn't match her dress but she didn't care. She loved them! We tried to talk her into the same dress but in a different color to match her shoes but she wanted nothing to do with that. The yellow and black dress went perfectly with her pink shoes in her 4 year-old brain.

Although I don't sponsor her sister, Stella, I didn't want to leave her out. I had her pick out an outfit too. She quickly picked out a yellow and black sweater that matched her sister's dress. Then she picked out a jean skirt that went well below her knees but it didn't pass Mama's test. She wanted her to wear something longer. She settled for a black skirt that went to her mid calf and pleased her mother. She was so thankful as she didn't expect to get anything for herself.

Our final stop was at a shop called "Wallmart" (yes, it's spelled with 2 l's). It was much smaller than our Walmarts but had a bit of everything. I told Mama Hadassah (mother's in Kenya are called by "Mama," followed by their child's name) to pick out a couple of things for her home she needed. She carefully picked a thermos to keep food warm and a little stove. She was so grateful for these items and she couldn't stop thanking me.

I was able to purchase all these items with just $40. That same amount of money would cover 2 months of rent for her tiny home in the Kawangware slums. It amazes me how little this family survives on each month. Often, after the rent is paid, there is little money for food. My sponsorship will provide monthly food for the family, school and medical care for Hadassah. My little sacrifice of $50 a month will provide so much for this little girl living in the slums on the other side of the world from me.

After the shopping trip, came the dreaded moment that I had to say goodbye to Hadassah and her family. I pray that I can return to Kenya in 2-3 years, but it also crossed my mind that this might be the last time I see her in person, hold her in my arms or hold her hand as I walk with her. God willing, it won't be the last time I see her. The first time I met Hadassah last week, she was fascinated with my watch and how it lit up when she pressed a button. I decided that I could survive my last few days in Kenya without a watch and I took it from my wrist and put it on Hadassah's wrist. She was so excited and my eyes teared up. I looked up at her mother and her eyes were also tearing up. She gave me the "2 cheek hug" they give in Kenya and couldn't stop thanking me. Stella also hugged me and thanked me again and then I held and hugged Hadassah for the last time before getting back into the van. As I climbed into the van, I burst into tears. I didn't want to leave this precious girl that I've grown to love so much. I waved to them as we drove away with so many emotions running through me. I was so happy to bless this family, yet heart-broken to say goodbye.

2 comments:

  1. Janet O'Malley8/25/11, 3:43 PM

    It's amazing how much of an impact you've made on that family. The things we take for granted... new clothes, shoes, a stove... What a blessing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. OMG, what a blessing and how a little can go such a long way.

    ReplyDelete