Monday, May 4, 2009

"I'm so unworthy, but still You love me"


As usual, church was phenomenal yesterday. Pastor Jeff Vines is the most gifted preacher I've ever heard! I'm sure only Jesus Christ Himself could out-preach Jeff (lol). CCV is currently doing a series on other religions, not to bash them (in fact, Jeff has been very careful to say he does not want to offend anyone), but to compare and contrast and to ultimately lead us to TRUTH. Yesterday he preached on the history of the church in preparation for next week's sermon on Catholicism. He started his sermon with this statement, "I'm not Catholic, I'm not Protestant, I'm a follower of Jesus Christ." I LOVE that statement as it is so true and similar to what I always say, "I'm not religious, I'm a follower of Christ." I believe there are so many people out there that are "religious," but don't have a personal relationship with Christ. In fact, I'd go as far as to say that many churches are filled with people that call themselves Christians, but aren't saved because they are so caught up in the ritual of religion that they've completely missed the boat on what it means to live life in relationship with God. There is a HUGE difference. For those that bear much fruit and live in relationship with God, certainly know the difference. This is a hard concept for many people as it requires dying to yourself and living for Christ alone.

As I listened to Jeff preach last night, I was overwhelmed with such joy. Jeff stated that speaking Truth isn't always "politically correct." We need to be bold enough to not be PC. I am human and so completely imperfect. But, it doesn't matter, Christ took care of that on the cross and my repentant heart now knows the joy of forgiveness. Sometimes I'm overcome with shame, wondering how God could love me. All I need to do is turn to scripture and the Holy Spirit reminds me, I'm free from shame, it died at the cross. At the end of the sermon, we sang "Cannons." I love the words (thus the title of this entry),

"It's falling from the clouds
A strange and lovely sound
I hear it in the thunder and rain
It's ringing in the skies
Like cannons in the night
The music of the universe plays

You are holy great and mighty
The moon and the stars declare who You are
I'm so unworthy, but still You love me
Forever my heart will sing of how great You are

Beautiful and free
Song of Galaxies
It's reaching far beyond the milky way
Lets join in with the sound
C'mon let's sing it loud
As the music of the universe plays

All glory, honor, power is Yours amen
All glory, honor, power is Yours amen
All glory, honor, power is Yours forever amen"

2 comments: