Sunday, June 28, 2009

The gift of Father's Day

Unlike Mother's Day, John didn't have to work on Father's Day. I guess it's better that he didn't have to work on his day if I had to pick from the two. We went to church and I made him one of his favorite meals, chicken tacos made in the crock pot. We enjoyed a nice family day together and John spent much of the day setting up and playing with his new computer.

The funny thing about Father's Day is that I received a very special gift that day when I called my dad to wish him a Happy Father's Day. Now the ironic part, he said he received a special gift from me during church that morning (my parents live in Wrightwood, therefore we go to different churches). He said their pastor spoke on standing up for what's right, even when it's not popular. You see, I recently did that very thing. Last year I stood up for what was right and it came at some cost (the loss of a couple of friends and some other issues), but what I lost was absolutely nothing compared to all I GAINED. My father went on to say that his pastor talked about how when you stand up for what is right in the eyes of the Lord, you will be richly rewarded. He said that all through the sermon he thought about what I had done and the outcome of it all. He said it brought him such pride that he raised a daughter that was bold enough to stand up for what was right. Those words from my father meant so much to me that I was practically speechless. I felt as though, once again, the Lord confirmed to me that I was a faithful servant who is richly blessed.

So, it seems, Father's Day was a special day for both John and me!

No comments:

Post a Comment