Monday, June 1, 2009

Moving the Rices


Today was the day we've known was coming for nearly a year now, it's the day Derek, Christiana and Naomi move to San Diego. They are transitioning into the new phase of their lives as fulltime missionaries. There is no doubt in my mind that this new adventure for them is not only God’s great plan for their family, but also that God has equipped them with all they need to serve in this capacity.

My husband, John, and I first met the Rices nearly 5 years ago at our former church. We knew who they were long before they knew who we were. Derek was the worship leader and Christiana served alongside of him. It was evident to us right away that God gifted them to lead His people in worship through music. Both are gifted vocally and Derek is an amazing song writer and musician. One thing that was so evident from the start was that they didn’t want worship time to focus on them at all, instead they wanted all the praise to go to God. I often wondered if either of them even realized how gifted they are as they must be the most humble people I’ve ever met. With all that talent, it would be easy for them to take the credit, but they always gave all the credit to God for their talent. We first got to know them at a church potluck and a friendship began. In January of 2007, I joined the staff at our former church and had the privilege of working with Derek and sharing a wide open office space with him, as well as Janelle and Courtney. It didn’t take long for me to realize that I had met my match when it came to pranks. As one of his biggest musical fans, I LOVED listening to him practice for Sundays and write music for his first CD while I worked at my desk about 20 feet away from him. This sometimes was a curse as he could go from serious singing to obnoxious make-up-as-he-goes song lyrics in a split second. The worst was if anyone showed the slightest bit of irritation, he would get louder and more obnoxious. I always got nervous if I saw him coming towards my desk, as I never knew what he was going to do (blow a horn in my ear, throw a ball at my head, drop a mouse on my desk, spray a burst of air in my face, etc.). He sure made working at the church an adventure!

When Derek and Christiana first came to us nearly a year ago to tell us they were leaving to become missionaries, I couldn’t be more excited for them, but I couldn’t help but be sad for us. They then asked me if I’d be willing to “manage” them through this transition through helping them get organized, map out a plan to raise support, fold and address an endless pile of envelopes, hosting desserts and so much more. I often wondered if they ever knew what an honor it was for me to do this for them and how much it empowered me to serve God through serving them in this capacity. After all, I felt I had gained so much from them through their spiritual gifting and now I could help them through my spiritual gifting.

I could go on forever, but I will stop babbling on and share some of the many lessons I learned from Derek and Christiana, both serious and comical.

* They taught me how to block all the distractions around me and just freely stand in the presence of the Holy Spirit and worship God. I learned that the most amazing worship occurs when I make everything about God and lose myself in worship, allowing myself to respond only to the Holy Spirit and not out of wonder of what those around me are thinking.

* They taught me that my heart for missions doesn’t mean I have to move halfway around the world (although I’d give away everything and become a missionary in a heartbeat), I can serve in missions right in my own neighborhood.

* I learned what a true heart for serving and a little time will make the world of difference to the less fortunate in this world.

* My spiritual gifting is just as important as their spiritual gifting, not all gifts have to be “high profile.”

* Most of all, they helped me see that God ALWAYS redeems the most difficult of situations.

*On the lighter side, I learned never to mess with Derek’s guitar for the sake of a prank. His payback will be severe and swift!

* I realized something was up if he looked me in the eyes and cracked a sly smile from the front of the church. Who knew what he had done with my personal possessions.

* I learned he would do ANYTHING to save a marshmallow.

* If Derek has a camera, leave immediately or he will take the most hideous picture of me and paste it everywhere he can for months!

* Finally, I learned that no matter how hard he tried, I was always capable of outwitting him.

So, Derek and Christiana, this is not goodbye. John and I know God has plans for us to serve alongside you as much as possible as we teach others about the love of God by serving the forgotten community of people that live on the streets and/or extreme poverty in downtown San Diego. We love you!

No comments:

Post a Comment