Thursday, December 31, 2009

Closing out 2009

For many people, New Year's Eve is a celebration of closing out a difficult year. I can understand that. I couldn't have been more happy to say goodbye to 2008, one of my most difficult years. However, 2009 was one of the best years of my life! Don't get me wrong, there were some hard times, but overall, it was such an amazing year and that's an understatement! At the start of the year, we were only a few months into attending our new church, CCV. God has used this church to TRANSFORM our lives in so many incredible ways! This year, all four of us have grown closer to the Lord more than any other single year. God showed us what it's truly like to live in Christian community with other people. He connected us to an awesome small group where we feel so loved and open to share our lives. The worship team there is beyond anything I've ever experienced in my life! They rock that church and help bring us into the presence of the Holy Spirit. Our senior pastor, Jeff Vines, has truly been touched by the Hand of God with the gift of teaching. CCV is the most amazing place and community to be a part of, again, that's an understatement! God is my everything, the center of my life and I know he brought my family to CCV to teach, show and help me put every single aspect of my life in His precious Hands.
John and I started 2009 by answering the call to baptism. It was an amazing moment, unplanned, that I've already blogged about, so I won't repeat myself, just look back in my blog to January 2009. I just want to add that we were baptized by Pastor David Sill, who we didn't really know then, but now call him "friend" and he's also in our small group.

In February, I turned another year older and also took a little trip that was more like a trip of redemption rather than a physical trip. With only about 2 weeks of planning, I traveled to Ohio to visit family. It was the first time, since my childhood that I had gone there by myself. I spent some unbelievable time with my aunts, uncles and cousins, some of which I hadn't seen in over 5 years. It was during that trip, that I finally felt at peace with myself and my role in my family. I don't know how to explain it, but God transformed me on that trip and now I'm looking forward to going again in just 2 short weeks.

Friendships! God brought me some incredible new friends in 2009. Jackie and Christina, you both are amazing women of God and I'm so, so blessed to know you. I'm a better person because of you. God also took friendships I already had and grew them into even more incredible friendships. Suzi, I've know you for a very long time, but your gift of friendship is so special to me and I'm so glad we've come to know each other so much better. The same is true for Stephanie. We've walked our kids to and from school together for 7 years now and you have TRULY been there for me through so much! I love you lots. I'm also so grateful for all the friendships I've reconnected with through Facebook. I also attended a women's retreat through church where I met some of the greatest women I'll ever know. Katrine, I still want to "wrap you up and bring you home with me." My swim team family also became such a big part of my life this year. I don't just think of them as "people at the pool" but as friends. There's just way too many to list, but you all know who you are. Finally, Derek and Christiana, our relationship has grown so much in 2009 and I'm so proud of the ministry you are doing in San Diego and I'm so happy to be a part of it. I thank God for the way He's carried me through 2009 with my friends!

2009 brought about the start of my new mural business with my best friend, Janet, AKA "Bestie." We work so well together and she is such a gift from God. I love creating rooms with her! Check out our website at http://www.muralyourroom.com/. We are so fortunate to have supportive husbands that want to see our business succeed and are willing to chip in and help when needed.

This was also the year that our friendship with the O'Malleys grounded us in our faith both in God and people. We had closed 2008 with hurt caused by several hard experiences, including hurt caused by people we called friends. The O'Malleys have been with us every step of the way and have been there for us at the drop of a hat. We camp together, worship God together, live life together.... They are great people and we love calling them "family" and together we've become the "Mooralleys."

Healing happened in 2009. God healed us of the pain left behind from 2008, He healed us spiritually and physically. After 2 years of diabetes, I finally tested negative! What a miracle! Although John still feels the physical pain from his injury in the accident, God healed him and gave him peace in his attitude towards the pain. He's learned a lot through the Apostle Paul and the thorn in his side. John's pain keeps him looking towards God.

There's so much I could say about the beauty of 2009, but I'll condense the rest to this list:
* We watched our nephew graduate from high school and go off to college.
* We've seen our beautiful daughter, Kiley, blossom into a sweet young lady.
* We've learned determination from Makenna's drive to be the best swimmer she can be.
* Despite my reservations, I competed AND completed the LaJolla Rough Water Swim for the second year in a row!
* I saw John find that joy in his job again after several years of unhappiness of where it left him after his accident.
* The healing of a relationship with my mother. PRAISE GOD!

I know there's so much that I'm forgetting, but it's time to end this blog and enjoy the last few hours of 2009 with my family. Goodbye 2009, you were a great year and I pray 2010 is just as wonderful!

No comments:

Post a Comment