Sunday, March 15, 2009

Pioneer Day


The long awaited 3rd grade Pioneer Day finally came and went. This was a favorite event of mine when K was in 3rd grade and I couldn't wait to be a part of it again, this time with M. The day was filled with lots of events, such as quilt making, candle dipping, tin punching, leather carving, shaving, poker, checkers, apple pealing, butter making, laundry washing, rag dolls and much more. We had a blast and it was so awesome to share this special day with Makenna this time around. In fact, I even missed Bible Study for it, which is a big deal! M made it to almost all the booths, but found candle dipping to be her favorite. Finally the 3rd graders end the event eating the old fashioned way, out of old pie tins, enjoying such foods as pork and beans, cornbread, oranges and of course, all the butter they made. I, once again worked at the quilting booth, my area of expertise! It's hard for me to call it quilting, as the kids just sew to triangle pieces of fabric together and paste them to a stick on string to hang up. The picture at the top shows M proudly holding her creation. The sadness set in as I was leaving the school as I knew that I no longer had another child that would participate in this special 3rd grade event. However, I decided it didn't mean my time with Pioneer Day was completely over, I don't need a child in the 3rd grade to volunteer my time! For that, I am grateful and will enjoy it again in March 2010!

No comments:

Post a Comment