Monday, March 30, 2009

Praising God that Kiley had a Fever

I'm sure the title makes you wonder. Well, I actually did praise God that Kiley woke up with a fever. Today was the official start of 3 days of "Family Life" at school. You might be wondering, "What is Family Life?" Well, it's a politically correct name for "Sex Ed!" After viewing the curriculum and videos last week at the parent viewing, I walked out wondering if my daughter was actually in high school and not the 5th grade! First of all, I can't believe how few parents showed up! There are approximately 90 kids in the 5th grade and I counted enough parents to represent only 8 students! Do parents not care??? Of the parents there, I personally knew 6 of them and we are all Christians. We quickly gathered in a group after the meeting to discuss if we were really going to let our children participate in this unit. We were all in agreement...this is not 5th grade curriculum and there is no way we are letting our 10 and 11 year-old kids be a part of it! I think the single most statement that made me put my foot down was from the teacher that would be teaching the girls, "I tell them that they never know when they're going to get their period, so they need to be safe so they don't get pregnant." Really? First of all, are there 5th grade girls that are sexually active? I certainly didn't know of any when I was that age. Secondly, why do 5th graders need to know the specifics of sex yet? Finally, what happened to morals??? So, a friend of mine that works at the school went to the teacher to ask for more specifics. She asked about teaching abstinence as a Christian value. The answer, more startling than the comment, although she personally believes in the value of waiting, she's not allowed to teach it!!! What has happened to schools in America? Everything, but God, is up for discussion. So, back to today's title, THANK GOD we did not have to lie to the school and say Kiley was out sick when she really wasn't!

No comments:

Post a Comment