Saturday, February 14, 2009

While Mom is Sick

I've been sick the last few days, which means the girls have been having to keep themselves busy with little help from me. In other words....a tornado has hit the house. Although they can be helpful and will do things I ask them to, they also know I have no energy, therefore, I don't check to see how well they've done the things I've asked them to do. Finally today I was feeling a little better, so I got up for a bit. I found their beds were made as I had asked, even if the sheets weren't neatly tucked and hanging down on the sides of their beds. I was able to walk through their rooms, which is nice and I could still see the carpet in the playroom. I guess I shouldn't complain. Overall, they've been very helpful. I couldn't help but remember back to a time when K was a toddler and M was an infant. I got really sick and could hardly get myself off the couch. John was working a lot (nothing's changed) and somehow I had to find a way to care for them. I believe meals consisted of cheerios spread across their little picnic table (and lots of them in hopes it would cover snacks and their next meal) along with several sippy cups and bottles lined up in a row with different drinks in them so I wouldn't have to keep getting up to fill them. They are older now and have proved to me that they can take good care of themselves. They've managed to take showers, brush their teeth, make their own meals and keep themselves entertained as long as I played a few video and board games with them here and there. As much as I miss the days of babies and toddlers, I love that we can hold somewhat intellectual conversations and they can provide for their basic needs. Life is good!

No comments:

Post a Comment